This recipe is as easy and as quick as an apple crumble gets! With the added benefits of being refined sugar free, gluten free and actually really good for you. But it's not just for the health conscious, as I discovered at my place.. It was gone within an hour of coming out of the oven (PRE-dinner, FYI) and everyone here loves their sweets! If you do manage to keep it away from hungry mouths until after dinner it makes for a delicious dessert. Enjoy x
- 2 apples, peeled and cored
- 2 pears, peeled and cored (or just use 2 more apples instead)
- 3-4 medjool dates chopped into small chunks
- 1tsp mixed spice (or 1tsp of your preferred spice/s)
- 1tbs grated lemon or orange zest
- 1 cinnamon Stick
- 2cups Tash's Muesli Granola
- 2tbs coconut oil melted
- 1/2cup macadamias, roughly chopped (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius.
2. Cut the prepared fruit into small, roughly even cubes about 2cm x 2cm.
3. Put the fruit into a heavy based saucepan along with the dates, spice, zest, cinnamon stick and 2-3tbs of water.
4. Bring to the boil over medium heat then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer with the lid on for about 10-15 minutes or until the fruit is tender. Stir occasionally (and gently) so the fruit cooks evenly.
5. Remove the cinnamon stick then pour the stewed fruit into a medium sized baking dish and spread evenly.
6. In a bowl combine the melted coconut oil, Tash's Muesli Granola and the macadamias. Mix until the Granola and macadamias are well coated in the coconut oil then pour the mixture evenly over the stewed fruit.
7. Place in the oven on a high rack for 10-12 minutes or until the Granola topping starts to brown. Take out of the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving, then plate up with some good vanilla yoghurt - I love FiveAm Organics.